First, I read the PartsSelect DIY report by Linda, Warsaw, IN. With confidence, I purchased the magnetron. Upon receipt, I took the built-in microwave out of the cabinet, set the unit on the kitchen floor, and was stopped cold by the Safety Torx nuts on the reverse of the unit. Borrowing the right wrench allowed the 20 minute start-to-finish part changeout and reinstallation of the unit in the cabinet to proceed. The old magnetron was the defective part. Discovery of the 10-year Parts-Only warranty on the less than 10-year old unit was insufficinet to guide me to take the unit in for their Labor bill to repair. New part in hand, it just was that easy - and assumed to be no less expensive.
The key to this repair is attaching the spring once the rest of the assembly is attached. I primarily used a wratcheting screw drive to remove the assembly but used a socket attachment with the screw bit to finish it off.
First, I removed the spring entirely. In order to attach the spring, I expanded the spring by sliding quarters into each of the coils (I had a quarter in every coil in order to get the ends as close as possible). I then first attached the spring to the post on the right side. I would have preferred to attach it to the closure assembly arm as the angle to attach was much simpler with the spring detached however there wasnt enough room to work around the post.
I then adjusted the closure assembly arm to be aligned with the spring and with a little elbow grease, stretched the string the remaining 1/2" or so and connected it to the arm. Once connected, I opened the fridge door and was easily able to remove the quarters.